Thursday 12 November 2009

Differences diary cont

I have to go to Japan soon. Don't ask me why, I just have to. It's exciting trip. I have always wanted to go to Japan and now I am able to make this come true.

At first I have to schedule the trip in a very detailed way. I have to know where to prchase the tickets, where to find the terminal and many other things.

I have started asking my Korean friends about that and they don't know anything. They are in their late 20's studying at the best university in this part of the world but they are not able to advice me on those issues.

I can manage on my own and I took no offense. But this is just another example of differences between West and East. In the western cultures it is normal for young people to move away from their families and make everything independently. They know how to schedule the trip, pay taxes and manage with other affairs.

Here in Korea people in the age of 30 are not really independent. They have their life managed by their parents in every aspect i.e. education, personal choices, evening classes. And so on.

They become fully independent between 35 and 40, when they get first real jobs or get PhDs ( which starts to be the standard of education in this part of the world).

I am not sure if it is better or worse. It is just different. And cultural diversity is what has always excited me the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog :) If you like, please comment. Keep in mind that if the comment may hurt anyone, including me, I will, by common sense, delete it :) Enjoy :)